The Green’s Prairie Cemetery Association (GPCA) invites the public to join them for a brief, outdoor, socially distanced ceremony November 11, 2020 at 11AM to dedicate three new flagpoles and honor veterans past and present, especially those interred at the cemetery.
Located on Postville Road just north of the village of Postville, WI, in the Town of York, Green’s Prairie Cemetery is a one acre remnant of never plowed deep soil prairie that was in use from 1845 to 1917. Among those buried at the cemetery are 11 veterans — one from the Black Hawk Wars of 1832, four from the War of 1812 and six from the Civil War. Stones also honor two veterans of the Civil War whose bodies were lost in battle.
Three recently installed flagpoles dedicated to the late Dave Green — Author, Historian and GPCA President and Board member who was instrumental in preserving the history and land of the cemetery — will be used for the first time to fly flags from the War of 1812 and the Civil War in addition to the American and Wisconsin flags.