Town of York
Monthly Board Meeting
Tuesday, January 12, 2021
Please Note: These Town Board meeting minutes are posted as draft-only to inform town residents of the topics addressed at the board meeting. These minutes are subject to review and possible revision at next month’s Town Board meeting and should not be considered official until they receive final board approval at that time.
The meeting was called to order at 7:30 pm. The meeting was held as a video conference on Zoom due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Chairman Steve Van Hout, 1st Supervisor Tim Czerwonka, 2nd Supervisor Steve Hermanson, and Clerk-Treasurer Jessie Schlumpf were present. Verification of proper notice was given. Steve Van Hout reported a change of the agenda: New Glarus Fire District contract was postponed until the February 2021 Board meeting. Meeting minutes for the Tuesday, December 8, 2020 Board Meeting were presented. Steve Hermanson moved to approve the minutes from December 8, 2020; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report- Discussion was held regarding reconciling 2020 budget items; this will be discussed at the February Board meeting. Steve Hermanson moved to approve the Treasurer’s Report; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried.
Bills- Jessie Schlumpf presented bills to be paid. Tim Czerwonka moved to approve the bills as presented; second by Steve Hermanson. Motion carried.
Patrolman’s Report- Steve Hermanson reported that he repaired the International truck twice (hydraulic hoses), and that he and Travis Leonard had performed tree cutting with the excavator and tractor on York Center and Sawmill Roads. Wayne Bue is slowly recovering. Wayne Bue relayed to Steve Hermanson the amount of salt and tailings needed and 4 loads were picked up; the inventory is now the same as before the first snowfall. Travis Leonard and Steve Van Hout have picked up the Ford truck from Madison. Steve Hermanson and Steve Van Hout said it worked out well renting a truck from Brooklyn while the Ford truck was being repaired
Plan Commission Report- Bethany Storm reported that the Plan Commission is continuing to review the Comprehensive Plan, chapter by chapter. Arlo Paust was sworn in as the newest Plan Commission member, three land division/transfers were approved, and she updated the dwelling unit database.
Public Comment- Steve Van Hout mentioned the upcoming caucus on Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. Tim Czerwonka reported that it was a quiet month for questions on the website. Jessie Schlumpf will post information regarding 2021 dog licensing at the Town Hall and the Recycling Center.
- Ordinance review with our lawyer- Tim Czerwonka asked that Board members send ordinance review questions to Jessie Schlumpf for presentation at the February 2021 Board meeting such as: field road/ driveway ordinance language; driveway permit and/or dwelling unit transfer in land contract transactions; whether “lawyer fees recoverable” language should be added regarding landowner ordinance questions.
- Salary review for Wayne Bue, Steve Hermanson & Travis Leonard- Steve Hermanson abstained from the discussion. These salaries were last reviewed in January 2018. Steve Van Hout moved to raise Wayne Bue’s wage to $25/hour and Travis Leonard and Steve Hermanson to $23/hour; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried with 2 ayes; 1 abstention by Steve Hermanson.
- Board members salary discussion- Steve Van Hout and Jessie Schlumpf will contact other Green County townships regarding board member salary and per diem information for discussion at the February 2021 Board meeting.
- Weekly mailout of Town of York website updates- Town residents are receiving this weekly email with website updates, and approximately 30% of recipients are following the links to the website information.
- Upcoming Caucus- Steve Van Hout discussed doing the caucus via Zoom with the WTA attorney, and the procedure to follow if no one steps forward for the vacancies. Steve Van Hout will conduct the caucus. The Board discussed options for voting if more than 2 candidates for each position are nominated and decided to try to come up with a solution before the caucus. Best option may be to use chat function, but would exclude phone call-ins. Tim Czerwonka will re-post the caucus notice (with the Zoom link) for the weekly mailout of Town of York website updates.
- Broadband Committee formation- AnnaMaria Bliven and Tim Czerwonka volunteered as members of the Broadband Committee. AnnaMaria Bliven will recruit additional members.
- Harold Thompson – Driveway refund (Adam Crist) (W9616 Cty H)- The Board members inspected and are satisfied with the elevations for this driveway. Steve Hermanson made a motion to approve the driveway refund for Adam Crist for the Harold Thompson driveway; second by Steve Van Hout. Motion carried.
- Tim/Amber Seffrood – Driveway permit (Cty Rds A & H)- The Board discussed the location of this proposed driveway (on Cty A) and where a house would be constructed. Steve Hermanson made a motion to approve the driveway permit for Tim and Amber Seffrood on County A; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried.
- Stephen Foster – Driveway refund (N8495 Cty Rd J)- The board members inspected and are satisfied with the driveway elevations for this driveway, and Jessie Schlumpf mentioned she will need to call Mr. Foster regarding who would receive the refund. Steve Van Hout made a motion to approve the driveway refund to Stephen Foster; second by Steve Hermanson. Motion carried.
- Paul Ovadal – Bryant Fisher purchase (N9536 Hay Hollow)- This property has 14 dwelling units and a “grandfathered” house; will remain agricultural. Steve Hermanson made a motion to approve the land transfer from Paul Ovadal to Bryant Fisher of N9536 Hay Hollow Road; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried. Mr. Ovadal asked that this transfer be contingent upon the successful completion of the real estate transaction. Tim Czerwonka moved to amend the motion to be contingent upon the successful completion of the real estate transaction; second by Steve Hermanson. Motion carried.
- Edward/Connie Fox – Kayla Gray transfer (W7492 Kuenzi Ln, CSM 2493, Lot 1)- This is an existing house sale. Steve Van Hout made a motion to approve the land transfer at W7492 Kuenzi Lane; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried.
- Gerald Elbin – Patricia/Jeffrey Klossner purchase (Sec 6, 23032-01070000)- This is a land transfer with 1 dwelling unit. Steve Hermanson moved to approve the transfer from Gerald Elbin to Patricia and Jeffrey Klossner of Sec. 6, 23032-01070000; second by Steve Van Hout. Motion carried.
Adjournment- Steve Hermanson moved to adjourn the meeting; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried. The meeting adjourned at 8:45 pm.
Respectfully submitted, Jessica L. Schlumpf, Clerk-Treasurer