Town of York
Monthly Board Meeting
Tuesday, November 10, 2020
Please Note: These Town Board meeting minutes are posted as draft-only to inform town residents of the topics addressed at the board meeting. These minutes are subject to review and possible revision at next month’s Town Board meeting and should not be considered official until they receive final board approval at that time.
The meeting was called to order at 7:31 pm. The meeting was held as a video conference on Zoom due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Chairman Steve Van Hout, 1st Supervisor Tim Czerwonka, 2nd Supervisor Steve Hermanson, and Clerk-Treasurer Jessie Schlumpf were present. Verification of proper notice was given. Meeting minutes for the Tuesday, October 13, 2020 Board Meeting were presented. Steve Hermanson moved to approve the October 13, 2020 minutes with one amendment to the Patrolman’s Report: “The board discussed having Jeff Moen look at the truck”; second by Steve Van Hout. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report- Steve Van Hout made a motion to approve the Profit & Loss Budget vs. Actual Report as presented; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried. Steve Van Hout made a motion to approve the Profit & Loss Report for October 2020 as presented; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried.
Bills- Jessie Schlumpf presented bills to be paid. Steve Hermanson made a motion to approve the bills as presented; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried.
Patrolman’s Report- Steve Van Hout reported that the new truck was sent into Monroe and picked up last Friday – there were wires hanging down and they could not get the plow hooked up. Steve checked with Rural Insurance and they approved taking the truck to Monroe rather than Freeport. The other truck is at Moen’s getting the brakes and oil pan done. Wayne has been asked to install the plow on the new truck and test it as soon as possible.
Plan Commission Report- Bethany Storm reported that the Plan Commission held discussion regarding Ordinance #16-03 regarding simplifying the procedure and possibly updating the ordinance. The ordinance will be an agenda item for next month’s board meeting. There was discussion regarding getting additional copies of the comprehensive plan; the plan is due for its five-year review. There was also discussion regarding density units in land contract situations. Steve Van Hout asked that Bethany write up her suggestions; this will be an agenda item next month.
Public Comment- Tim Czerwonka publicly thanked Todd Carlson for his work taking care of the Town of York website for quite a few years. Steve Van Hout publicly thanked the poll workers for going over and above.
- Approval of New Glarus Fire District Budget- Steve Hermanson moved to approve the New Glarus Fire District budget for 2021; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried.
- Handicap Accessibility & Traffic Flow at Recycling Center- Jill Duerst presented her concerns about handicap accessibility and traffic flow at the recycling center. She expressed her concern about ruts in the gravel presenting a tripping hazard, especially for elderly residents. Depending on our patrolman’s workload ruts will not necessarily be repaired in a timely fashion. Cindy and Kim Peterson relayed their ability to help residents with unloading at the recycling center. There also was discussion regarding making the road in and out of the recycling center one way to help with traffic flow. These issues were tabled until next month’s board meeting for further discussion of possible solutions.
- Bruce Sinkula – Driveway (Lot 19, Pondrose)- The board members will individually inspect this driveway at 8091 County H. This driveway refund will be an agenda item for next month’s board meeting.
- Trent/Kelsey Hendrickson – Driveway Permit- Discussion was held regarding this driveway on Steffens Lane (off Tyvand Road). Kelsey Hendrickson will check with Dave and Mary Erickson regarding the dwelling unit(s) for this piece of land. The board tabled this driveway permit until the December board meeting.
- Holley Siegenthaler Driveway Culvert Consideration- Steve Van Hout reported that he inspected this driveway; Steve Herrmanson and Tim Czerwonka had inspected this driveway last month. Discussion was held regarding the need for a culvert, and the need for substantial landscaping for water diversion. Steve Van Hout made a motion to approve the driveway refund for Lot 23, Pondrose without a culvert; second by Tim Czerwonka. Steve Van Hout and Tim Czerwonka voted aye on the motion; Steve Hermanson voted nay; motion carried 2-1.
- Ronald Strommen – Wayne/Jeannette Klosterman Land Division- The Plan Commission approved this land division in Section 22, Parcel #23032 0447.22(P) and 23032 453(P). Steve Hermanson made a motion to approve the land transfer to Wayne and Jeannette Klosterman from Ron Strommen with 1 dwelling unit; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried.
- Ronald Strommen – Thomas Mosgaller and Donna McDowell Land Division- The Plan Commission approved this land division in Section 22, Parcel #23032 0447.22(P)). Steve Van Hout made a motion to approve the land transfer from Ron Strommen to Thomas Mosgaller and Donna McDowell; second by Steve Hermanson. Motion carried.
- Update on Town of York Newsletter- The board members discussed the draft of the newsletter as well as updating the recycling center’s article with handicap accessibility information.
- Rural Land Conservation Fund – Impact Fee- The board tabled this item until further research can be completed.
- Green’s Prairie Cemetery – Yearly Donation- Steve Van Hout made a motion to give Green’s Prairie Cemetery a donation of $300 for 2020; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried.
- Ross Mash – Consideration of 306.6 acres on Hay Hollow Road- The board tabled this item for future consideration.
- Sterling Morrow – Driveway- Chairman Steve Van Hout recused himself from discussion of this matter. Tim Czerwonka reported that he has contacted Joseph Bartol of the Madison law firm of Stroud, Willink & Howard LLC. Atty. Bartol has been given all pertinent information on this matter and will report to Tim Czerwonka regarding the Town of York’s liability on this matter. The board tabled further discussion on this matter until the December board meeting.
Adjournment- Steve Hermanson moved to adjourn the meeting; second by Tim Czerwonka. Motion carried. The meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.
Respectfully submitted, Jessica L. Schlumpf, Clerk-Treasurer